Friday 30 December 2011

Christmas Past


We thought we might live here in this gorgeous Border Oak cottage for three years - and then build another house. But we have been here for 7 years now! So this was our 7th Christmas and I thought you might like to see my amateur photos of our decorations this year. The kiddie winks made lots of them this year so its all a bit higgledy - but I love what they did!



Min drew Father Christmas, with a silver beard!


I made some rosettes from my Toast catalogues to stick onto presents.


We nabbed some mistletoe and put it wherever we could


And I found a small gilt 'A' from my new favourite shop in Hay called 'The End' (its an acquired taste and Ben doesn't like the shop so I have to shop alone - dangerous!)


We cut some branches of silver birch from the garden and added some tiny paper doves



Min made this wreath from Vibernum in the garden - I was amazed and very impressed with her handiwork


More mistletoe hanging from the porch - Mr Postman was quite pleased/terrified?!


A paper garland made from an old book and magazine butterflies strung across the mantle with lots of candles


My favourite decorations - a felt polar bear.........


...........And some white fleece wrapped around a wire heart


 Gabriel chose this new wooden teddy - it was 75p from a local craft fair. I should have bought more!


a simple felt ginger bread man - so easy to make, and best of all it can't be broken (gabriel has tried!)


The whole tree, as decorated by M and G just about squeezed into the corner - it was lovely and bushy and hardly dropped a needle

 Min made this when she was three ish - a loo roll wrapped in cotton wool of course


The reception table was my choice - but Gabriel stuck the birds on the branches.


I am obsessed with natural beeswax candles at the moment - I love the colours, the smell and the texture. Some high end catalogues sell these for £10 plus - but these cost between £1 - 4 a pair in local shops. They do burn very quickly but I can put up with that.






And finally paper garlands made of strips of handprinted paper and my left over Cole and Son wallpaper They were easy and fun to make and look almost pretty in a 'homemade' sort of way?

So that was Christmas 2011 - I hope you all had a lovely time and that you enjoy NYE wherever you are and whomever you are with. I will see you in 2012!

With my warmest wishes

Merry

3 comments:

  1. Oh Merry how gorgeous!!! I am so pleased to have found your lovely blog, I remember being so captivated by your beautiful home when it was featured on Grand Designs! Happy New Year from this old timber framed home! Warmest wishes - Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Glenda - I am so happy to find your lovely blog too! What a beautiful house you have. And thank you for all your kind comments, it makes such a difference.

    best wishes - Merry x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Merry! Really looking forward to following your posts. Warmest of wishes from an old farmhouse in Lincolnshire - Glenda x

    ReplyDelete